Cle Elum, located just east of Suncadia, is the local hub of Restaurants, banks, stores and generalcommerce. Cle Elum was named from its Indian roots Tie-el-lum, which translates as "swift water." Until the Northern Pacific Railroad was extended to Seattle, Cle Elum was the “end of the line” for travelers from the East Coast.
Cle Elum was the first to have 'organized' skiing west of Denver, Colorado. Starting in 1921, 100–400 people would be on the ski hill every weekend through the winter. 1931 saw the largest crowd of 8,000 spectators for the ski jumping events. The depression ended the skiing and jumping events in 1934.
- Cle Elum Telephone Museum - This museum was established in 1966 when Pacific Northwest Bell Telephone Company deeded its former office building to the Cle Elum Historical Society. At that time Cle Elum became the last in the telephone company's service area to be changed over from manual phone service to automatic dialing.
- Carpenter House Museum - A step over the threshold of the Carpenter House is a step into the past. This marvelous 1914 mansion, with its spacious rooms, tiny alcoves and third-floor ballroom, holds the story of Cle Elum's first successful banker and his family. High Country Artists shares this historic house, and its art displays provide visitors an added experience.
- The Mines - Visit City hall (located on the corner of Oakes Avenue and First Street) for information on mine tours.
- The Coal Mines Trail- Following an abandoned mining railway easement, this spectacular trail passes several historic mining sites as it makes its way along Crystal Creek and up to Roslyn, WA. This generous walking path (former railway bed) has a gentle grade that is suitable for almost all hikers, walkers and bikers.
- The Cle Elum Bakery - both historically interesting as the oldest operating business establishments in Cle Elum. It has operated continuously still using the same brick oven that has not cooled since 1906. They also use many turn of the century recipes to produce unusually delicious baked goods. It is well-known to travelers and many stop by to purchase the tasty bread and pastries.
- Glondo's Sausage Company- Old world Italian market and butcher shop. A generous selection of sausages, meats, bacon and traditional delicacies all hand crafted without preservatives or nitrates. A gourmet selection of Italian groceries including cheeses, fine wines, select olive oils, and specialty salts, pasta’s and more.